It is often difficult for seniors to adjust to a new housing environment. It may be a move from their house to independent/assisted living or memory care. They fear the loss of independence, status, self-esteem, freedom or social contacts.
Here are a few ways you can help your loved adjust:
- Introduce them to staff and residents
- Ask the staff to team them up with a resident buddy to show them to activities and meals
- Decorate the outside of their door with a wreath, needlepoint, shadow box or art work
- Make the room as personal as possible with family pictures, an afghan, favorite chair, etc.
- Set-up a routine: Monday-bath, Tuesday-therapy, Wednesday-visit from family, Thursday- cards, etc.
- Anticipate upcoming events: birthday, holiday, birth, wedding or graduation
- Talk about their past interests
- Set-up the apartment before their arrival and invite family and friends
I am available for family coaching for anyone across the nation. If you find family members are in disagreement regarding the direction of care for your loved one or you are overwhelmed, call me at for a private session via phone (303-875-4466) or by email (Karen@KarenOwenLee.com).